Saturday, February 24, 2007

Vegan Cupcakes

Cupcake Recipe:
This awesome recipe comes from Vegan Cupcakes. Everyone (vegans and non-vegans alike) thought they were great. I think my best compliment was from my mom who asked somewhat suspiciously "Are you sure these are really vegan?"

makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled. (Note: I did this but never really got a "good" curdle" - the cupcakes still turned out well though).
3. Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until no large lumps remain. (Note: I hate sifting, so I sifted about 1 a cup of the flour, got impatient and then dumped it all in to mix - again the cupcakes still turned out well!).
4. Fill the cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and back for 20 to 22 minutes till done. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting Recipe:
1 cup vegetable shortening (like crisco)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons water
1 pound of confectioners' sugar (approximately 4 cups)

Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend until creamy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These cupcakes were incredible.

sim-san said...

I'm actually not vegan though I have blogged several vegan recipes. I am a meat eater that likes the challenge of baking up vegan goodies for my brother in law.