Monday, January 15, 2007

Homemade Dumplings (Gao Zi)

Dough
This weekend's project was to learn how to make homemade chinese dumplings. Making dumplings is definitely more an art than a science so as my mom was showing me how to make the dumplings, I was taking detailed notes and pictures. Dumplings also require A LOT of time. This project turned into two days of cooking, although the first day was pretty easy. We made the dough Saturday night and then let it sit overnight. Sunday we made the filling (Pork and Napa) and rolled the wrapping and made the dumplings. Homemade dumplings can't be beat so after reviewing my notes and pix, I'm going to try it out myself. I expect it will take me several tries as well as a fair amount of consultation from my mom. Luckily she's very encouraging and wants me to learn this family tradition.

No comments: